Google has a way of making SEO companies squirm with new updates and changes to their search algorithms. This year’s updates have really made an impact on the world of SEO. However, it’s not what you think. Any good SEO team that creates great content that is relevant to readers will still have great rankings in Google’s search results.
Here are six of the 50 changes that Google made in March that are the most important to SEO and marketing:
- Update Codename: Blackboard will process autocomplete queries that include math symbols. (+, -, %, $, @, etc.)
- Update Codename: Prof-2 allows for betting indexing of profile pages from more than 200 social network sites.
- Update Codename: ShieldsUp allows for better handling of local intent and navigational queries, where it looks as if the user is trying to navigate to a specific site, or within a specific site that is near their current location.
- Update Codename: Curlup is the big one that has some “black hat SEO companies” shaking. This allows Google to crawl a webpage and rank a website based on quality, and what it brings to the user, instead of ranking for SEO alone. This is what I mentioned before, using keywords is still best practice. However, don’t just shove them into sentences and content that don’t fit.
- Update Codename: Fibyen improves the algorithm that determines dates for blogs, ensuring that the newest and most relevant results are brought to users.
- Update Codename: Lice updates the signals that Google uses related to the landing page that quality images are located on. This means that users will find higher quality images, even if the images are on lower quality pages.
Google’s updates always seem to scare everyone on the web. Though Google isn’t setting us up for a SEOpocolypse, and as long as you have great tactics there’s nothing to worry about. If you own a business that has a website just make sure that you have a great Atlanta SEO and web development team taking care of your web presence. This will ensure the best rankings in Google and greater traffic overall.